So we woke up Saturday morning and went to the Vatican - because Kevin (who is the biggest social butterfly you will ever meet and is one of the nicest people I have ever met) was the one who planned it like 50 people went - Fr. Al (the priest for JFRC who was leading us there) was expecting like 10. The look on his face was priceless when he walked in and saw a massive group.
All 50 of us Americans cram on this bus, which I'm sure everyone who wasn't American on the bus appreciated so much (sarcasim Colleen...) and get into Rome and walk around Vatican square. Everything was so big, it was incredible. Then we go through this massive line into the Basilica - where there was mass going on so that was kinda strange to be walking around while mass was happening. It was gorgeous. I can't even put into words how beautiful it was. My favorite part was when I was walking past one of these little alters that they had everywhere lining the walls basically - they had like separate ones for different popes or saints etc - and this little girl, probably like 6, was on the kneeler in front of one and was praying. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen.
I ended up getting separated from Natalie and Sam in the process of walking around but found a friend, Justin, and we walked through the grotto (where a bunch of dead popes are including JPII) and talked. It was surreall walking past the tombs of so many great men (and there were some women down there too Peaches!!!) who led the Church. Espeically John Paul II. Everyone was very reverant around his tomb.
Justin and I waited outside once we were done walking through so we could wait on the rest of the group. I found Natalie and Sam and a few others and went off with them and he stayed with the rest of the group. We walked everywhere. We walked for sooo long and then finally at 2pm Natalie was finally like - We have to stop to get food, we were so hungry!!! I had this fantastic pizza - oh my goodness it was so good. Absolutely delicious, but I don't know if it was actually that good or if it was just because I was so hungry. I think both.
So then Sam and Natalie and I walked around and got lost - but a good lost. We just walked around and bought gelato and talked and had fun. And then we walked up to this fountain and we all look at each other and we are like - "Oh wow. I think that's the Trevi Fountain!" We just walked into it. It was pretty funny. So we did the whole coin toss thing into the fountain and it was fun. We walked around some more and I bought an Italian sweatshirt - but it's a fleece, so it's much nicer than just a jacket. AND it was only 10 euro!!! Yeah!!! :)
We finally decided that we wanted to go back and we got soooo lost trying to get unlost. I liked being lost and not caring where we ended up much more. We asked like four people for directions. The first one was pretty funny. We stopped outside of this cafe and looked at this map and this Italian guy, who works there, was like - are you Americans? And I was like, yes we are. He's like - oh I can tell. And I asked if it was because we looked lost and he said yes. So he gave us directions but we still got lost. It took forever to find where we were supposed to be and finally get on a bus. It was ridiculous!!! My feet hurt so badly because I was breaking in my boots - I think it will take a while for me to want to wear them again haha.
Classes have been going really well. They were cancelled this evening so we could all watch the inaguration. It was pretty cool to be watching it in Italy, especially how it was 5:30pm here but only 11:30am on the east coast (10:30 for most of you in the midwest). Tomorrow classes are also cancelled (for those of you wondering we do go to class here, the first week has just been a bit strange) because we have tickets to a Papal audience. Kevin, who I mentioned earlier, is leaving at 5:30am. I'm leaving at a more reasonable 7am. The doors open around 8 or 8:30 and the audience doesn't start till 10 or 10:30am. I'm wearing warm layers and bringing a book.
I want to thank all of you who have commented on my pictures or posts -- those who have sent emails too. It is really nice to know that you are thinking of me while I am away. I hope that all is going well where ever it is that you are.
Love,
Amelia
ameliaaaaa i love youuuuuu.
ReplyDeleteand i totally get what you mean about people asking if you are american. mostly it's my straw hair and translucent skin, and i'm always like, ahhh! i need a wig! and tanner!
you wear those boots, girl. wear 'em well.